Practice Foods For Children with Feeding Issues
I’m always trying to come up with new foods or snacks my daughter can try and practice eating with; food that melts easily, she can hold and that I can find at local grocery stores. Honestly don’t have time to go to three stores.
If your child has motor delay like mine, hypotonia or just feeding issues meaning that they get their main nutrition from bottles or some other source but love to try other foods, here’s a list for you but would love to hear more ideas. My daughter is four so it can be tough thinking of new foods. These are all easier to hold, melt quickly so you don’t have to worry about choking or just food she likes(keep in mind, she doesn’t consume a lot, so these aren’t meals, more for small b).
- Graham Crackers by Keebler – Broken into rectangles
- Club Crackers by Keebler– Rectangular shaped and just the basic kind
- Cheetos Puffs by Frito-Lay – Easy for my daughter to hold and loves the salt and cheesiness.
- Guacamole – Loves this stuff with some added salt (when guacamole is in season, we buy it constantly). Great fat too.
- Organic Peas Baby Food by Gerber- Not as salty and tastes homemade
- Sweet Corn Casserole by Beech-Nut
- Dehydrated Apples by Kirkland – Just saw these at Costco and melt easily
- Ranch – Loves the saltiness and getting her hands in it (just more to clean up)
- Icing – Just not too sweet (will send “the best icing ever” recipe soon)
These are obviously foods that work for us and of course depends on your child’s situation, but hopefully will get you thinking of more ideas. Every child is different so just take that into consideration. Also these are by no means all healthy foods but for us, any fat is great and loves eating when she can. She feels so proud and is so much happier even though can be small amounts. If have other ideas to share with us, please send a comment below.