These days we aren’t visiting Children’s so much so going to Birkley’s appointment the other week brought back so many memories. I had all the kids with me but thank goodness for the free child care they offer for siblings. At least I could unload […]
Have to say, being a parent of a special needs child, here is a short list of some of my favorite stores, resources and just things I couldn’t live without. They have been huge part of my every day living.
- Target – Where I buy Mossimo tank tops. With all the drool and poop around here, I love these tops. Plus Target always has majority of the things I need including $5 tops and pants for the girls. Something we buy on a regular basis.
- Diapers.com – They have tons of stuff and things you can’t find anymore at local stores. I’ve bought Birkley’s bath chair, rubber spoons, and more here. Not just diapers. They have everything.
- Mommies of Miracles – Just started following about four months ago. Great for connecting with other moms.
- P2P Forum – Forum in Colorado and know they are in other areas too. Great local information from parents.
- Love That Max – Love her sarcasm and her articles.
- About.com, Special Needs, Terri Mauro – One of the first blogs I found. Has great information overall.
- Taylor Swift and Other Top Hits – My family loves music. I dance with my oldest daughter to Taylor on long days. She is one of her favorites so always helps us change the mood if we need it around that 4:00 time. Birkley loves music even if she can’t hear it and always holds up her hand to join in. Even my son Bode started dancing when he was around nine months and has been dancing ever since.
- The Lumineers and Other Happy Hang out Songs – Check out the Lumineers if you like pub type, happy music. They are a Denver band and love them. Our family listens to this type of music when we need to just let go and escape a little. Takes us on a mini vacation in a way.
- Peanut Butter – Think I eat peanut butter once a day at least. Always a great fat and helps keep me going. Plus added to toast, it’s a quick out the door breakfast.
- Mixed Nuts – Great quick snack when I need some energy and my kids love them too.
- Greek Yogurt and To-go yogurt – Easy to bring with me in the car and always refreshing.
- Coffee – Only one of my favorite morning routines. No matter how fast we have to run out the door, I always have my coffee heated back up ready to go. Have you tried Allegro, Whole Foods coffee? So good.
Although every child is different, Birkley is loving all kinds of “sweet and salty” and spicy foods. Again these are not as meals but more for just trying out different foods and flavors. Birkley gets really frustrated if she wants to eat and can’t exactly […]
My daughter loves to run or at least pretend she’s running, loves to jump in her walker when sees others dancing or jumping, loves watching soccer, baseball, kids playing sports, throwing things, anything… I wish there was a place where they could let themselves be active kids, a place that would enable them do the things they can’t, a gym type place or maybe a class they could go to. Has anyone ever heard of a place like this? If Birkley could walk, I know she would be running soon after. She is so motivated. You can see her energy build up when she watches others. Breaks my heart knowing she can’t follow along but she tries her hardest. If know of any businesses that offer something like this, would love to hear about them. Hoping some day maybe I can offer something like this to kids like Birkley.